Sunday, August 3, 2008

5K Day

So - Adam and I ran our Foot Zone 5k today. It's the same race that we made our "first 5k ever" last year. This year we both saw great improvement. Adam ran it in 22:32 (last year he ran it in approximately 24 minutes). My time last year was 36:20 which is a pace of 11:45 per mile. And - I'd finished 463rd. This year I finished in 30:04 with a pace of 9:42 per mile and was 269th out of over 500 runners. Having had my foot surgery only 3 months ago I wasn't sure how it would go, but I feel really good about it. I was also quite determined this year. I've been telling Adam that I wanted to finish at around 30 minutes. Then, around mile 2, I checked my watch and had sort of resigned myself to finishing within 31 minutes. As I neared the finish line I could see the timer and realized that I could actually finish around 30 minutes so I pushed myself - hard. And, I saw the timer just change to 30 minutes right before my finish. And - I almost barfed when I stopped - I had to work really hard to "hold it in", so to speak. I don't have any lofty ambitions to improve my time in the future - I'm really quite happy with this. We have two more 5ks this year and the the Marathon/half marathon/100 meter dash in January - it's hard to believe that we are a running family - that's something that I never figured I'd say.

1 comments:

Heather said...

CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!!!! Thats huge and im so happy and proud for you. I did couch 2 5k last summer before i hurt my knee and i loved it. I never thought id be a runner either but i loved it. I hope to get back into it.
-h