Friday, May 16, 2008

Self Esteem

As the mother of a child who will one day be a teenage girl, I am keenly aware of the importance of establishing a healthy self esteem in my daughter. I want her to know that her beauty has nothing to do with whether there is a zit on her face or a hair out of place. I want her to know that her value doesn't reside in the size of her breasts or the size of her rump, and I certainly want her to know that she doesn't have to work hard to be pretty - she simply is. Dove has been building campaigns that address real beauty and the false images that we're sent every day in advertising. These movies give one pause to think - I especially like the third one called, "Amy" with the final thought being that Amy can think of 12 reasons why she's not pretty and the teenage boy who is calling for her can't think of one. I hope that Bailey will grow up with his perspective. Click on the picture to get to the link and take a minute to watch them for yourself - things that make you go hmmmmm.

0 comments: