Friday, March 2, 2007

If I had a million dollars


Probably one of my favorite songs of the 90’s was the Barenaked Ladies song, “If I Had a Million Dollars”. It lists a bunch of really silly things that they would do if they had a million dollars (I’d buy you a fur coat, but not a real fur coat, that’s cruel). So, what would I do if I had a million dollars? Well, to put it into perspective I sort of think back to how I’d have responded 15 years ago. I was young, single and carefree (unless you count bills as cares). At that time I’d have probably answered that I’d purchase a home (you need a home base and a place to keep all of your really cool “crap” that you purchase), travel and buy clothes. And, that’s what I’d have done - simple. Question answered. Piece of cake. Next?

Fast forward to today. I have a husband and a child. Don’t even bring up the rise in the cost of living. At this time a million dollars won’t come anywhere near buying the huge home that it would have 15 years ago - in my little area of the world (the Silicon Valley of the Northwest) it will get you a 4500 sq. ft. home about 40 minutes from town. So, what would I do with a million dollars now? That’s a tough one. There are so many things I can think of. Fun new clothes for my daughter. A down payment on a larger home. Some new arcade games for my husband. You see, priorities have done a drastic about face. 15 years ago my world was all about me. I didn’t have to think of anything else. Want to travel to Israel for a couple of months? Sure. Want to work in Alaska for the summer? Why Not. My mother always referred to me as her free spirit. I felt like I had so many opportunities that were just waiting for me to grab at them.

Now, my world is about my family. I want to see my husband beam as I surprise him with some new gadget. My heart melts when my daughter embraces a new baby doll. The idea of completely retiring and being a simple stay at home mom totally appeals to me. It would be so much more difficult to choose how to spend the money. Perhaps I’d invest it for the future. Maybe we’d blow it all in one weekend. Whereas 15 years ago I’d have been able to buy everything that I could think of (I didn’t have very wide reaching wants), now it would barely graze the surface. Would I still travel if given the opportunity. Certainly, as long as Adam and Bailey came with. Do I feel like any less of a free spirit? Perhaps, sometimes, sure. But, I wouldn’t trade it...not even for a million dollars.

0 comments: