Friday, March 23, 2007

Books, wonderful books!!

I have always loved to read!! As a child I would quickly devour books. Picture it - eight years old, under the covers, smuggled flashlight on, reading even though everyone else has gone to bed and I was supposed to have lights out hours before. I have had a voracious appetite for all books. I have, however, noticed that I can easily get into a slump. I’ll stick to just a couple of authors and won’t branch out. It’s almost a fear thing. Fear that I’ll absolutely detest the book, but because I spent $14 on the damn thing I need to finish it. It’s silly, really, I can always sell it at 1/2 price books for the 10 cents that they’ll give me. Ugh!!

Anyway, recently I started participating in an online book club. The women are far more avid readers than I have ever been (or than I aspire to be, for that matter), but have some amazing suggestions for books. In the past 2 months I’ve read more new authors than ever before and am looking forward to continuing.

One book that I’m completely psyched for is Girl Sleuth, Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her. I would say that my all time favorite series is Nancy Drew. I have every one of the original books - yup - a shelf full of yellow hard back books with the “titan haired girl detective” on the cover in some eerie situation. I LOVED those books!! In fact, I actually read through them again about 6 years ago - it was the most fun. I think that because of these books I always thought it would be fun to be a detective. When most girls were playing with Barbies, or watching TV, or thinking about boys, I was going around the neighborhood inventing mysteries. For a while there was a vacant lot across the street from me - many a mystery began there!!

I hope that as Bailey grows up she has as much enthusiasm for books as I do. I’m looking forward to introducing her to Nancy Drew. I can’t wait to help her solve mysteries and investigate. I’ve got a number of real puzzlers for her: where does that one sock go in the dryer, why can’t I be one of those skinny bitches who eats nothing but chocolate all day and loses weight and, how can I stop this grey hair from spreading. If she can figure those things out I’ll be set!!

0 comments: